Are you familiar with aquafaba?
It is the cooking water from legumes (most famous from chickpeas). Once chilled you can beat it until stiff just like egg whites!
It’s easier to use the water from canned chickpeas. But using dried chickpeas make it possible to get the quantity you need, although it is more technical.
Here are my details for a big bowl of chocolate mousse (serves 6-8):
- Soak 200g chickpeas for at least 12 hours.
- Throw away the water;
- Rince the chickpeas, then cook for 1 hour in 900ml unsalted water. Cover so the aquafaba does not evaporate.
- Leave to cool, and transfer the cooking water to the fridge.
- In a big bowl, beat it until stiff using an electric mixer!
- You will be left with about 450g chickpeas for a hummus, dahl…